Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Public Magic Discussions
Notices

Old 12-09-2011, 01:24 AM   #1
Randy
Hobby Magician

User channel on YouTube
Default Is the Internet transforming -or destroying- the magic of magic?

Here is something interesting to read .

Ohh and Mark i think they talk about you lol that Netherlands guy hahahaha.

http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/news/2...8/secrets-out/
Old 12-09-2011, 04:14 AM   #2
thetophatfirm
Red

User channel on YouTube

wow, that was intense
Old 12-09-2011, 07:16 AM   #3
Mark

User channel on YouTube

It's definitely a good article and discussion but the article doesn't really say much. I already knew what Rick's thoughts on this subject though.

Fact that he somewhat twisted things regarding me is a bit surprising. He knew my exact motivations because when 'Vertigo' came out and he discovered my 'On The Edge' (which was pretty much immediately), he asked me about it and I explained my motivation in extreme detail, and even apologized for those who reacted negatively to 'Vertigo' (then again, I also had to deal with people who said my 'On The Edge' was Rick's 'Vertigo', even though I already cleared that up to begin with). I posted 'On The Edge' to keep my method safe (and perhaps to give T11 some sort of bitch slap for making senseless teasers). If 'Vertigo' turned out to be the exact same as mine, I would have lost my invention and credits and I liked it enough to not have that happen.

The internet made the average level of magic drop insanely, and commercialized the art like crazy. There is no doubt that before the internet, only decent, good or great magicians could actually succeed, and nowadays truly everyone including laymen who did not have the intention to do magic to begin with and who just happened to run into magic exposure, can succeed too. Magic used to be one of the quality arts, but it no longer is. That the art became available to the masses is great, but that the secrets did too, is not.

And making fake tutorials can be funny (I can tell from experience), but I have also seen quite some people making fake tutorials using other tricks' methods, and I could not disagree more with that. Rick's fake tutorial on 'Vertigo' may seem silly but it is a very possible (and I believe even published) method for a deck balance. And there are purposely fake tutorials for the 'Clipshift' showing a 'Stealth Change', etc. I personally think that is really nasty and somewhat counterproductive.

Fact that there are so many laymen who turned and turn into "magicians" only because of free online magic exposure and not because they actually wanted to become magicians to begin with, makes me say the internet did destroy the art (which is a transformation in itself, so the title of the article doesn't really make sense). Of course the internet brought positive aspects as well, which is why I am talking to you right here, but looking at just the art and its overall quality, it is clear that the internet has not been all that good for the art at all.

Also, back in the day, you would still have to be a magician or have the intention to become one in order to get an illegal copy of Vernon's $20 booklets. You had to work for it, and that doesn't happen all that much anymore.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

it's a good read, and i agree with most of the things said there, about the magic world being destroyed due to the internet and stuffs, but all this really is bad for my health( can't decide who to trust when both sides think they're correct), so i'll just say that i read it.
"It's a small world, but only relatively"
"Reality is not the world, it is the way humankind depicts the world, thus when you alter a person's way of seeing the world, you alter reality itself"
la0o9 is offline   Reply With Quote