Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Playing Cards
Notices

Old 04-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #1
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube
Default Fanning Powder

Not really about playing cards, more like something you apply to it, but i have a question, how long does it take for fanning powder to lose it's effect? I recently got a secondhand deck( still new since the last owner was a card collector more than a magician) but it was applied with fanning powder and i can only do flourishes with it( a simply double lift that i've mastered takes me 4 tries... and it's not even a perfect one), i really want to use it for gambling demonstrations( It's a tally ho viper deck, if i can do a second deal with a silver back on black background, i've surely mastered it) but can't since it's so sticky...

so... back to the question, if anyone have had experience, how long does the deck takes to get back to normal? I really miss the smooth movements of the cards from before, and i'm in no position to get another tally ho viper deck
"It's a small world, but only relatively"
"Reality is not the world, it is the way humankind depicts the world, thus when you alter a person's way of seeing the world, you alter reality itself"
la0o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

Donor Score: 110
User channel on YouTube

I'm not sure about how long it takes for the powder to lose its effects, but the fanning powder should come into effect the moment you put on it.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
Kevo

User channel on YouTube

There is not a certain time for the powder to come off.Basically the fanning powder will come off when you play arround with the cards, doing riffle shuffles, springs, etc.Even if you do so, the powder won't disappear completely(I think so).You can also try to clean every card with a piece of cotton (I used to clean my cards like that in the beginning when I had only one deck )The bad thing is that Tally - Ho Viper is a black deck, that means the edges of the borders will become white.This may affect your second deal performance, making it more noticeable for spectators.
Kevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
Mark

User channel on YouTube

It really depends on the amount of powder and the kind of powder. I don't use it myself but I've handled a friend's deck which was really overpowdered as he called it.. and I'm pretty sure that that deck still feels the same as it did back then.. a year ago.

The bad thing is that using the cards more might actually have the powder work the cards more too. I'd suggest you to stop using the deck, getting a soft brush over both sides of every single card and making sure the surface you do it on is clean once you are done cleaning a card's side.

Hope that helps.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

and i keep hearing that if i use the card more the powder will wear out and loses its effect... some really bad advice that was... now my deck is still sticky but it can't make a nice blank fan anymore...

a soft brush huh? i tried using tissue but after about 20 cards is cleaned they come back to when they weren't cleaned( that very distinct feeling on a powdered deck, can't miss it).

BTW, tho i said it wasn't overused by the previous owner due to him being a collector, that doesn't mean i don't use it... and i did... in fact, i used it a lot...
"It's a small world, but only relatively"
"Reality is not the world, it is the way humankind depicts the world, thus when you alter a person's way of seeing the world, you alter reality itself"
la0o9 is offline   Reply With Quote