Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Public Magic Discussions
Notices

Old 02-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
TommySteal
Tom

User channel on YouTube

You are right Marcos, this is interesting and there is certainly no set answer. All art including magic, I believe, is simply one expressing themselves which in turn is open to interpretation. In some respects I can see how magicians are perceived to be actors since many professionals/street entertainers use patter. As we all know, patter is a written and rehearsed dialogue the magicians use each time they perform that particular trick, much like an actor memorizing their lines.

On the other hand, an experienced magician may feel a completely impromtu performance of something to be more appropriate for a certain situation, leading him away from his rehearsed patter and act in a more similar manner explained by Mark earlier.

So yeah...it appears that sometimes we are sometimes not.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommySteal View Post
In some respects I can see how magicians are perceived to be actors since many professionals/street entertainers use patter. As we all know, patter is a written and rehearsed dialogue the magicians use each time they perform that particular trick, much like an actor memorizing their lines.
That is a neat one. Do you think it's arguable whether comedians and all other artists who deal with patter could be seen as actors (apart from actual actors)?
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
actors, magicians, proffesionalism, real life.