Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Public Magic Discussions
Notices

Old 04-23-2013, 02:47 AM   #1
Des

Default Performance Suggestions

A teacher I know recently asked me to perform some magic for her class of third graders (eight and nine year olds, for non-Americans). I just wanted some suggestions from you guys on a. some tricks (not really shooting for routines, just a small collection of tricks) and b. how to connect with the smaller children (though I don't really want to reveal my exact age, I'm about twice theirs). Any suggestions? I've already pretty much decided on Missing Link (Chris Kenner), but that's about it.
Thanks.
PS I'm limited basically to cards.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:32 AM   #2
OliveroG
Marcos Olivero

User channel on YouTube

I don't think that you should do magic for children if you have to ask that question. It's a really difficult sort of magic since they're extremely honest, and don't really care to call you out or go and ruin your act. They require good audience managament, good communication skills, they must know you're the boss and they have to respect you (Even fear you in some level). On the other hand, if you're confident enough, i suggest Williamson's 3 card trick, any coin production sequence from the body of a kid and sponges. Bare in mind that i named close-up effects that can be suited to kids, but they're probably not the best options.
OliveroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
Des

Thanks for the advice. I've done it before, but this is the youngest I've ever performed for, outside of family. I guess I'm focusing more on the first question, so mainly, what tricks have you used on little kids that worked good.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Actually, 8/9 year olds aren't too bad. Anything younger than that belongs to the ages that either just don't get it, or who are far too honest. At ages 7/8, this changes. It is for that, that eight is actually the youngest I agree to perform for, and have agreed with in the past.

Any interactive and easily understandable magic works. In case of doing card magic, you might actually want to go with pictures instead of suits. For instance, when doing a 'Three Card Monte', it is better to have them follow a rabbit instead of a queen of hearts/money card (and then you could for instance have tophats on the other two cards and end with a kicker of there only being tophats and the rabbit appearing in an actual hat which stands nearby or which you happen to wear, or the rabbit coming out of a hat on the cards, etc. Just some ideas coming from the top of my hat.. err.. head).

Tricks involving money usually work for such ages too, like a 'Miser's Dream' or a coin routine that ends with a jumbo coin (you can just hear the kids say "Woooooow" already, can't ya?).

Also tricks involving things that kids of such ages are supposed to know/have learned at school, help a lot. That way you have total control over the act, e.g. by making them look smart and yourself look dumb without actually making it too childish from their perspective.

Hope that helps.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:38 AM   #5
Des

It does, thanks.