Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Announcements > Introduce yourself
Notices

Old 02-05-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
Fruglemonkey

Default 'sup?

Heya.

I work with coins. Not really much else to say, really.

AMA?
Fruglemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Welcome! It's good to see that someone finally joined just for the contest.

How long have you been working with coins? And which coins in particular?
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
Fruglemonkey

Hrm. Casually for about 3-4 years, now? Australian 20c pieces, mainly. I've got small hands, I'm afraid. Haven't gotten my hands on any shells yet, 'cus they're expensive here ($70-150)
Old 02-06-2011, 12:07 AM   #4
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

i think shells are overrated, pure coins are so much better imo... as you can see, Ponta the Smith needed no gaffs to make a bunch of cool coin tricks that actually look like magic. and welcome.
"It's a small world, but only relatively"
"Reality is not the world, it is the way humankind depicts the world, thus when you alter a person's way of seeing the world, you alter reality itself"
la0o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:50 AM   #5
Fruglemonkey

Ponta can also do amazing things with them, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO23o...eature=channel
Old 02-06-2011, 01:02 AM   #6
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

i know he can... if you can do something impromtu, you can surely re-do it gimmicked( with the right gimmick/gaff of course), but he didn't need the shells to make up his handling of the effects in Sick( BTW: i don't think that Ponta made that effect "super tripple coin"...)
"Reality is not the world, it is the way humankind depicts the world, thus when you alter a person's way of seeing the world, you alter reality itself"
Old 02-06-2011, 01:14 AM   #7
Fruglemonkey

What I meant to convey, was that you can do amazing things with both coins, shells, gaffs, gimmicks, etc. Like the Flash! haha.

Also, Ponta didn't create that routine, but was performing it in that video.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:06 AM   #8
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

lol... if you can't do amazing things even with gimmicks/gaffs in your possession, you're not worth being a magician... my point was that shells are overrated, and should not be used all the time if at all( i like to keep my magic as clean as possible, and gaffs aren't as clean as i like them). i know ponta was performing it... i simply said he didn't create it... sheesh... read over everything before you post or you risk misunderstanding me again...
Old 02-06-2011, 03:29 AM   #9
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

Donor Score: 110
User channel on YouTube

No hate, but love~

Love must be maintained in this forum. Be kind and respectful, even if you know you won't get any Valentine's chocolate, you must ... not cry... *sniff*
Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:01 AM   #10
Fruglemonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by la0o9 View Post
lol... if you can't do amazing things even with gimmicks/gaffs in your possession, you're not worth being a magician...
Never said anything of the sort.

Quote:
my point was that shells are overrated, and should not be used all the time if at all( i like to keep my magic as clean as possible, and gaffs aren't as clean as i like them)
Why not? They let you achieve effects that are otherwise not possible. A lot of skill goes into working with shells, you know. They're not some 'easy way out'.

Quote:
i know ponta was performing it... i simply said he didn't create it... sheesh... read over everything before you post or you risk misunderstanding me again...
Yes, and you're misunderstanding me. I was affirming that he didn't create it, only that he performed it.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:39 AM   #11
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruglemonkey View Post
What I meant to convey, was that you can do amazing things with both coins, shells, gaffs, gimmicks, etc.
that's what you said... and i simply agreed by saying that if you still can't do amazing things then you can't be a magician( "you" being a relative term, not specifying anyone and thus i was not being mean).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruglemonkey View Post
Yes, and you're misunderstanding me. I was affirming that he didn't create it, only that he performed it.
again... YOU misunderstood me... what i said was meant to ellaborate that i already know that from the beginning, and the part where i said to be careful not to misunderstand me was not misunderstanding that particular part...

bottom line, i don't really like shells cause i'm new in coin magic, and i know Ponta can do a lot of things with a coin or things that holds the shape of a coin.

Everything i say in the forum is meant with a friendly/constructive tone, i do not plan to offend anyone and if anything i said offended you, i'm sorry.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:39 PM   #12
Admin

User channel on YouTube

Just a common misinterpretation going on here. Fruglemonkey his reply that "Ponta didn't create that routine, but was performing it in that video." was very understandable due to the "i don't think" in la0o9 his post, yet this was mistaken.

Like Albert said, please keep it kind and respectful in here. Do not automatically assume that someone misread or misunderstood anything because then arguments like this will go on forever.

Thank you.

And Fruglemonkey, welcome to this board!
Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:18 PM   #13
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Well, I personally think that Ponta using shells is like a pretty girl using cosmetics.. they just don't need it. And I really doubt that Ponta would've used it if it wasn't for advertising purposes, but that may be just me

However, I have to agree that Ponta's use of it isn't an easy way out. But I have also seen magicians who actually used it as an easy way out as their tricks could've easily been recreated in cleaner ways.

It's just what you feel like doing. If you feel too dirty when using it, then don't. If you think it actually adds something to the effect, then do.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote