Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Public Magic Discussions
Notices

Old 04-12-2012, 04:40 AM   #1
Kelan
kittydakat

Question Sum up what today's magic industry seems like to you.. in 3 words

Alright, alright- if you guys can't do that, I'll cut you some slack and give you 1 sentence. For me, the first words that come to mind are..

Corrupt- (Don't get me wrong, there are still some fantastic companies out there, but the majority of them, are unfortunately, only in it for the money- having no concern about the art).

Internet (Reliant)- (Most content is sold online- the world wide web has benefited magic in a countless number of ways, but has also hurt it. Piracy and free magic tutorials are just a few things off the top of my head).

Dishonest- (Many magic companies have resorted to false advertising to attract naive and unaware buyers. Companies that are guilty of this include thebluecrown, and theory11.)

Feel free to explain the 3 words you chose. I'm curious to see what you guys think.
Kelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Wow, you're quite negative. What happened?

My three words would be:

Evolving - Something the more experienced magicians usually don't understand for the reason they tend to be very close-minded, and many modern magicians don't understand it either because with their very open minds they think magic still is magical if they combine it with extreme card flourish skills.

Popular - Magic is more popular than ever, which I personally tend to see as a bad thing because there are more people calling themselves magicians too without living up to the title at all, it boosts exposure and bad performance, and companies seem to abuse it too, which leads to my final word...

Over-commercialized - Speaks for itself.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
Kelan
kittydakat

Haha, never thought of being positive- those were just the first few that came to mind :P
Kelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:53 AM   #4
The_Logical_Magician

User channel on YouTube

Mind-blowing -- that's basically the 1% of magic that I'm interested in at the moment.

Obvious -- that's the 99% that remains which is just boring and which can be figured out at first glance by a practised magician.

Hecklers -- because I've been having problems at school with the latter for the entire year (damn those hecklers!!!!! *points finger at the sky*)
The_Logical_Magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:18 AM   #5
Fin

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Logical_Magician View Post
Mind-blowing -- that's basically the 1% of magic that I'm interested in at the moment.

Obvious -- that's the 99% that remains which is just boring and which can be figured out at first glance by a practised magician.

Hecklers -- because I've been having problems at school with the latter for the entire year (damn those hecklers!!!!! *points finger at the sky*)
I think you missed the point of Kelan's question. It's about what do you think of the magic INDUSTRY, not what do you think about magic in general and performing it. By "the magic industry" we are talking the business of magic and how it is being run. It's about the companies and the main players who are helping create the bulk of the new tricks we see being advertised constantly, and in turn helping to steer the general direction in which magic could go.

I'm relatively new to magic compared to most people here I think, so here's what comes to mind when I think of "the magic industry".

PROFIT - The magic industry would not exist if it didn't make profit, of course. I think that although there are some great companies out there who seem to be trying hard to make money but are also clearly concerned for the well-being of magic as a whole, there are also companies out there who are only interested in profit. I think we should be realistic and accept that this is part of life in general. Magic never was, and never will be able to somehow manage to escape the problem that blights nearly everything that is linked to money i.e. greed, profiteering, corruption. When I think of "industry" I think of profit, which equals greed and corruption, but I am under no illusions.. This is what makes the world go around. It's why I want to move back to Mars.

PROGRESS - Without a doubt, having an "industry" rather than just a lot of people doing magic, means that magic is more likely to evolve/progress, because with the desire for profit comes the need to innovate. With the next "Worlds Greatest ACAAN" you are more likely to make a ton of money than just re-releasing a dvd of "The Old Classic ACAAN". So with the magic industry and all its negative, we also get many positives, the most obvious of which being ACCELERATED PROGRESS, reinvention, and more motivation to innovate. The desire for profit means there is more pressure to create new things. This will mean a ton of crap, but it will also include great new ideas and inventions.

COMMUNITY - The magic industry is relatively small. I feel lucky to be living at such a time in history with the internet gaining so much ground so quickly. It has meant that I can pretty confidently write an email to a famous magician and actually expect a reply! This is one of my favourite things about magic; the feeling of community, and the help that you will often get, if you just ask, even from some of the top names in the industry, guys who actually run some of these companies we're talking about. So although with profit comes corruption, there are still many honest, hard working, good people in the magic industry who, overall, help make it a pretty cool industry, at least when compared to most others!
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
OliveroG
Marcos Olivero

User channel on YouTube

My three words are:

Potato: I love potatoes.
Potato: speaks for itself.
Potato: Nothing to add.

Well, actually i wouldn't be able to describe it in three words, the first word that comes to my mind when i think about magic industries, atleast on the web, is "fashion", i believe that those trailers of effects with smoke, special effects, shadows, cuts, and all that stuff, is to show that with magic you'd be cool, and imo, thats the main reason for there to be so many "magicians" that just use the tittle to get more friends and stuff, just like when we talked about it in the "Magic as a social tool" thread, they show it to you awesomly, and you go buy it because you think you will look like in the trailer video.

That being said (i love saying that) i believe internet industry for magic has a great potential, but right now, i don't personally like it, because 95% percent of it is pure crap, and that's bad, because generally, only 90% percent of the stuff in everything is crap.
OliveroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
theheron

Donor Score: 50
User channel on YouTube

Hype

Magician-centered

Flashy(not necessarily a bad thing, but probably is)
Old 04-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
The_Logical_Magician

User channel on YouTube

Oooooh oops. my bad. well then I just hate the lot of it. I'm the kind of person who would've liked to have a personal, wise mentor (with a long white beard if possible) who would've taught me all the secrets of card magic so that the art may be preserved when he dies. The magic industry is all about business so: To hell with it!

ps: this last comment naturally excludes this here site, duuhhh.
The_Logical_Magician is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
industry, magic, sum, todays, upe