Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Public Magic Discussions
Notices

Old 05-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
OliveroG
Marcos Olivero

User channel on YouTube
Okay Lessons to my magic.

Hey guys, i just came back from a meeting in the capital of Venezuela, i met alot of magicians i only talked to thru internet, and i learnt alot i'd like to share.

One of the magicians i met (and talked to ALOT, i even stayed in his house) is Leonard Rangel, you probably don't know him, but he's kind of the best coin magician in my country, and probably in the whole south america, he has and awesome technique, and an amazing artistic approach to the art, he is very rough with words, but he made me learn alot.

First off, i learnt that a magic effect can always be divided in two ways, a technical side, and an artistic side, we magicians generally look at the techniques, try to figure them out and learn the techniques, leaving all the really important ideas (patter, approach, presentation, psychology, even what the effects actually transmites as art) aside. I must said that after hearing that, i realized that i only look at the technique, and i should start looking at what's important.

Also, learning stuff is important, but interiorizing what you learn to make it YOURS is the most important part, that's why many magicians, with few sleights, make magic out of simplicity (See René Lavand). we should not have the urge to create techniques, but to communicate what we feel in order to create art, and in the process of creating art, the techniques will come by themselves.

Don't open your mouth too often, because your head will be filled with air, it's better to listen, specially if you know you have something to learn.

Try to make your magic as simple as possible. If something looks better with an easier and simpler technique, do it like that, you do magic, you don't need to showoff skill to other magicians.

And his final words when i left: "Polish your coins". Thank you for reading such a long post.
OliveroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
Fin

User channel on YouTube

Gotta polish those coins! Great all-round advice here. Sounds like you had a good time
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
Arnau

User channel on YouTube

Great advice! Thanks for sharing
Arnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
ouncesmusic

User channel on YouTube

Thanks for posting this.

"No pressure, no diamonds."
Thomas Carlyle. Philosopher, 1795-1881

"I believe that true focus lies somewhere between rage and serenity."
Charles Xavier
ouncesmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:18 AM   #5
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

That's awesome advice, i'll take it.
"It's a small world, but only relatively"
"Reality is not the world, it is the way humankind depicts the world, thus when you alter a person's way of seeing the world, you alter reality itself"
la0o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Great post! Always good to know there is someone out there who shares the same general lessons I share myself.

I'm wondering about one statement though. The way you put the "Don't open your mouth too often"-statement seems like you meant it regarding practicing or performing the art, while on its own it's really regarding learning anything (a basic lesson used in all professions). Did you, or Leonard, actually mean it as for performing as well (to not talk that much) or was it meant as for when performing as well?
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
OliveroG
Marcos Olivero

User channel on YouTube

We agreed that when performing, you can talk as much as you want (while it makes sense, of course), we said that as a general rule of life when you're with other magicians (or people in general), sometimes people wants to stand up by talking about how good they are, or how many original creations they have, and they forget to listen to people that most likely will have alot to teach, i have to include myself in that group, but i'm working on it.
OliveroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
KGaborMagic
K. Gábor

Donor Score: 110
User channel on YouTube

Agree with everything, except the last one (because I'm not a coin guy, but I'll try to polish my cards).
KGaborMagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
art, lessons, magic, magicians, meeting