Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Public Magic Discussions
Notices

Old 12-10-2011, 05:48 AM   #1
Johnny Silver

Donor Score: 100
User channel on YouTube
Default What do you think?

Sup everyone-
I have had something on my mind for a while, and so I thought I would run it by you guys and girls. There is a saying that says "do one thing well"...As you prolly know Im a Mentalist and Magician. Im in a continual battle with myself...I want to do adult shows all the time, but people love my kids shows(especially the kids ) , but I honestly love Mentalism more. Magic makes me money, and has that visual side that mentalism doesnt. I feel if I love mentalism more, I should focus on that, but Im worried I wont get as many shows. Some people would say keep doing magic shows, but I cant make the mentalism act what it should be and put all my love into it, if im still doing magic shows. This might sound petty, but its a huge decision for me. Maybe I could give up magic for a couple months, but i dont want to loose my "touch". This would also mean a complete change of my youtube and facebook.....Let me know what you think
Johnny Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Am I correct by saying you have more magic/kid shows throughout the spring and summer months than in the winter and fall? That's at least how it seems to be over here.
If so, you could use the winter and fall for mentalism, and I think those months carry that feeling the most too, so stylewise that would work absolutely perfect.

I suppose best is to try it out. Use magic as your basis so the money is still coming in, but start doing more and more mentalism and see how that goes and if you can make just as much money with it.

And yes, you may want to change your social pages, or make new pages for the mentalism.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
Johnny Silver

Donor Score: 100
User channel on YouTube

@Mark-Thanks, ya,thats pretty much right for stage shows, although i get birthday partys year round. I'll keep ya posted how this transition works out.
Johnny Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:18 AM   #4
Fin

User channel on YouTube

Hi Johnny,

I'm relatively new to magic and know little about mentalism so I can't really offer advice here. But I'm wondering, can you not mix magic and mentalism to your taste? As a layman I've seen some great visual magicians who also did a few great quick mentalism tricks (Blaine, Dynamo), and I've also seen Derren Brown, who is mainly known as a mentalist, performing some great "visual" and "stage" magic. In all cases, the individuals managed to mix these into their regular line-up seamlessly.

If this transition is just about what's going to get more gig's, then I guess the customers are really the one's who'll help decide; but if it's just about yourself and your own journey then why not taper it for your own style. Offer a ton of great mentalism since that seems to be your current passion, but add some strong visual magic for that extra eye-candy that it can offer. It's all about how they are mixed, but I think it is possible to do it and do it well, and with your experience you could probably find some very creative ways to link them up.
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote