Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Public Magic Discussions
Notices

Old 01-25-2011, 04:57 AM   #1
Kieran Oloughlin

Default The gecko has been exposed

Hi
I assume everyone knows what the gecko is. I bought it and have been practcing with it but I am struggling with it, but I hope I will eventually get it.

One thing that that I am very annoyed about is that there is a video on the web that revels how it is done. I spoke to the person about removing it he refused and the I was abused by other another macigian. Is there anything that can be done to stop this kind of exposure like email the video website owners and have it removed?

I swear one day I will be performing with a gecko and some one will come up and say "I know how it is done he BLAH BLAH BLAH"

Does anyone know what can be done to get rid of this and any other magical exposures that are tricks that should be payed for?

And what can you do if someone see's me perform it and have seen the video and start speaking out?
Kieran Oloughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:13 AM   #2
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

Donor Score: 110
User channel on YouTube

Hi Kieran, I thought it would be more suitable for this topic to be moved to here since it does not discuss a specific individual. Hope you and Mark doesn't mind

I also purchased the gecko and have trouble with it xD

Returning upon your concern, this can be a somewhat of a serious problem.
Regarding having the exposure removed, there is a great deal of conflict on what can be on the net and what can't be on there.

Truth be told, the idea of magic itself really can't be protected by law. This is especially so since developed countries have the freedom of rights and speech and expression of ideas or thoughts as long as it does not really harm others (I believe). The contents of a DVD (such as music, a performance, etc.) can be legalized through copyright, however. So here comes the problem: Is this merely a morality issue or can this really be legally protected?

I personally had some experience with this myself, where I requested a person to take down a trick that was currently on the market (I don't remember at the moment). He didn't take it down and I didn't have the right to make him since the video was of himself, the individual, and so he had full rights to the video even though the trick wasn't his.

Mark may have a better insight on this...

Also, what you ask is a good question: what to do when laymen find out about something they shouldn't? Right about now, if I was Mark , I would just pull a Flash on people and leave their jaws on the ground, but I can't do that

I'm not really sure on what the best answer is, especially since many prop tricks really limits you on what you can do with it and it leaves you dirty, just like the gecko. If people know where the objects go, they can just ask you to show your "part of clothing" to verify. If you do, you will be criticized, if you don't you will also be criticized. But then, the best you can do at that point is to decline their request to show the "clothing" and just leave. Either way, you will be criticized, right? At least you can still keep the secret... But this really is NOT the best solution.

All in all, removing magic exposure really comes down to the individual in my opinion. If they really do respect the art, they would take it down. Now comes the ironic question of why I post some tutorials
Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

well, like Albert said, it's not nice revealing tricks, but we unfortunately can't do anything about it, since it's moral more than law, which sucks...

If people reveal your tricks while you're doing it on the street, simply not deny nor comfirm, leave them to their opinions and walk away to another crowd, but watch out for the person that revealed them before and people who might look like they'll reveal( it's quite easy to tell after you've flunked a few times, nobody's perfect so don't worry) before performing for real, but if they reveal it in a stage show... that simply means you need to practice more
la0o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:29 PM   #4
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Nothing more to be said. Try to make it your own and you'll be safe, even for those who seen it before or think they have.

I once came up with a funny variation using the 'Gecko', in which the spectator's selection appeared in a small pop bottle. I then said: "You know this is all fake right? There is no bottle", used the 'Gecko' on it, and was left with just their selection in between my hands. Just an idea you could play around with, and there are so many more things you could do with it.

But I agree, it s*cks. I often run into people who seen one or some magic tutorials on the web and just randomly guess that I do my tricks like that. It's annoying. You may want to have some outs to actually be able to show the same effect, yet done in a different way so you will decrease the chance of being heckled.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:29 PM   #5
TheMisdirectingHand
David Nguyen

User channel on YouTube

Although coming from Mark, I would have expected him to use the Flash, like Albert said. Ahaha

•People who talk and never do: The Lower Class

•People who talk and do at the same time: The Middle Class

•People who do before they ever talk: The Upper Class

A real man does not need to talk. We are the upper class."

-Joseph Lau
TheMisdirectingHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:33 AM   #6
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

nah, he didn't say that he was exposed using the gecko, but rather he was performing a routine with it.
la0o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:54 AM   #7
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMisdirectingHand View Post
Although coming from Mark, I would have expected him to use the Flash, like Albert said. Ahaha
As 'The Flash' is based on the 'Gecko', 'Raven', 'U.P.' and such, I have used all of those.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exposed, gecko