Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Magic Alert
Notices

Old 12-03-2010, 05:40 AM   #1
kammagic
Banned

User channel on YouTube

Hello this is Jonathan Kamm. If any of you would like to ask me any question feel free.

To address how I filter my comments on YouTube I use the following steps.

1. I listen to everyone (I don't ignore anyone)
2. I judge the advice first by itself. Is it good or bad advice? Using my 25 years experience usually this is quite clear.
3. If I'm on the fence or don't understand the advice I start looking at criteria.
4. Where did they get the info? Why do they think this is good advice? What do they know about the topic? I will ask a battery of questions if I don't understand the advice.
5. If the advice is something they really know about they will have no
problem answering my questions. If it's something they read or heard somewhere. They will have trouble answering my questions.
6. It may only take one answer to a question for me to realize this guy knows what he is talking about or one answer to know he doesn't.
7. I will ask questions until I have enough information to make an intelligent decision regarding the advice.

Most criticism is hater nonsense and does not make it past step 2.

Other things I take into consideration:

1. If they are professional and honestly want to give me helpful criticism they will contact me privately. But if their motivation is to hurt me or publicly humiliate me then they will post hurtful criticism in my public comments. These I do not tolerate and the comments are deleted.

2. I also look at the tone in which the comment is made.
" Your double lift is terrible!" - DELETED
" Why do you use that DL?" - APPROVED

3. Any comments with exposure in them are - DELETED

4. Any comments with boasting in them are - DELETED
"I figured that out"
"I saw what you did"
"first post"
"I know how that works."

5. Posting anonymously. If you are not man enough to stand up and take responsibility for your comments - DELETED
--------------------------------------

Also there is a rule all of us should live by. There are only 2 situations in which criticism is appropriate.

1. If someone asks you for advice
2. If you are an authority figure to that person. Doctor, parent, teacher, coach, supervisor, older brother ...etc

any other time criticism comes off as insulting and is very disrespectful. Even if you didn't mean it to be insulting it doesn't matter. You don't decide wether it is insulting the person receiving the comment does and you have to respect their feelings.
Your safest bet is to follow the 2 rules above and only give advice when asked or if you are an authority figure to that person. If you don't follow those 2 rules then you are the guy who goes around telling people what to do all the time. We all love that guy don't we.

I hope this answered some questions for you.

Thank You, Jonathan Kamm
kammagic is offline   Reply With Quote