Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Public Magic Discussions
Notices

Old 02-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
OliveroG
Marcos Olivero

User channel on YouTube

I agree with Oscar Wilde quote here, art is any human creation that tries to express something by being honest. The thing is that most of the times, when we start doing magic, we don't focus on expressing anything, we're all exited because we are learning secrets and if we perform the tricks, we will be doing them just exactly as shown in the dvd, or as described in the book, changing nothing. After you have developed enough skill (technically, in presentation, psichologically) you can start focusing on something else than just performing the game, generally people don't notice when they're doing art (because for them, they're just saying something they think) so i wouldn't be right to call it "developing it as an art" which is a mistake i wrote, i believe that what Mark said is more accurate: "If magic is learned for the magic, you better be serious about it, or about trying it".
Something i have to correct about what i said is about the "developing it as an art" part, when we start doing magic (and generally is to get more attention), as i said, we're exited about technique and blah blah, but in the minory, there comes a point when you stop, and look at your job, and say "What am i doing?" then you start like remembering all you have done and say "All i have been doing is crap." after that, there are two ways a magician can go, he will quit magic, or start "all over again" which is just relearning the effects, re-reading some books, taking more serious magic. This have happened to most of the magicians i know and even to me, so i believe that every magician happens to this phase (not sure, everyone is different). Also, you become a real "Guy who does some tricks" when this "phase" doesn't get you early enough, someone i know is the exact stereotype, he just walks with his friends, and when he meets new people, he takes the cards and start doing the same thing he did to meet the people he is with, and then he explains everything he did.
OliveroG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, magicians., social life, tool