PDA

View Full Version : working

s13zeTheDay
04-23-2011, 05:45 AM
I have a question for you guys, anyone who has had a job doing magic. I feel like I have been doing magic for long enough and am at the level where the next step is to get out there and just start doing magic for real people, which ideally means getting a job somewhere. I was wondering what advice you have, and also where are the best places to find work. Thanks.

Albert
04-23-2011, 06:04 AM
Before going out to look for a place to work and show off your stuff, the better thing is to confirm if you really are ready for it in terms of mental preparedness and your routines (i.e. are they properly set up so that it's logical?). To do that, the best way to start off is either through random street performances OR the better thing that I like to do is just go volunteer to do it.

A lot of the times, restaurant owners are hesitant to hire freelance magicians, especially if they are young, speaking through experience. By providing free entertainment, you can get your name across and build a reputation for yourself.

One way to do that is, possibly, go to a family restaurant owner and offer a free volunteer service for the night. Tell him/her that you will go and provide free entertainment in the name of that restaurant and if they like the customer's reactions, then they can pay him the next time they want you there. Of course, you want to make sure you convince them that you won't be a bother to the operation of the business.

But as I have said before, community service is the best way to go for now. That's how I started and have gotten my name across in my church, school, and a small part of my university. :)

Hope this helps. Good luck! :D

la0o9
04-26-2011, 11:23 AM
like Albert said, simply go to a park, or a place with a lot of people and perform to a crowd of up to 10 people, if you shake a lot, you know you're not ready( seriously, sometimes i perform the haunted deck and the cards actually shake in my hands because i'm nervous that they could see through the effect, tho that is more a pro than a con for some reason). But that's only for getting confidence in performing, if you want to get experience with audiences that EXPECTS you to do well, you can try community service: performing at a retirement home, at a friend's party, or a neighborhood kid's birthday party.

A way to get gigs( suggested by David Stone on his DVD, i'm quoting) is to go to a family restaurant or a restaurant with your buddies, and after you've eaten, do a few tricks for your buddies( sometimes if they've already seen too much and doesn't give a reaction, get them to fake it if you are confident enough in yourself), and attract a small crowd if you could, if the waiters see you can report you to the owner, you perform for him a bit so that he/she lets you off the hook( if he/she demands that you do), and when you have a good conversation with him/her, very casually offer your services: "If you ever need entertainment, i am at your service" or something of the sort( if you learn a bit of hypnosis, you can use the techniques to increase your chances) and offer a business card( a plain card with your name and number on it will do, no need for fancy designs). Oh yea, to widen your contacts, after the 3rd show or so, suggest that the owner tell his friends about you or something, and make sure you do the same thing at more than one restaurant, cause they won't always need your services but you kinda need to work constantly to gather experience

P.S: The reason i didn't suggest doing it once for free and charge the next times is because i think doing that might drive away your client.
P.S.S: just my 2 cents