PDA

View Full Version : Hello, everyone.

Aiyou
02-26-2011, 04:00 AM
Hi, Im Aiyou.
Nice to meet you guys. :)

My English is very poor, hope you guys can understand what I want to comunicate.

happy to join this comunity. Hope can learn more here and wish to purchase some of amazing products.

Search and read through some of the thread. too bad that some products like the flash is not available.

Albert
02-26-2011, 04:03 AM
Hi Aiyou!

Welcome to MTG! Don't worry about your English. :) I'm sure that won't be too much of a problem. Everyone is here to help you out when necessary so we hope you enjoy your stay here.

What kind of magic do you perform?

Aiyou
02-26-2011, 04:24 AM
Thank you. =)

I prefer general magic, used everyday object, but most of the magic i learn/performance is card magic. I dont know why, I dont feel like take deep into card magic. nowadays when magic is become more and more popular, the audience become smart, when i use double lift, they know. maybe i not skillful enough to convince audience, it is one card instead of two, but card magic is the magic you will learn when you step into magic. This is what I think.

Actually, I stop a while ago, because my 1st show(although it is free) is destroy by a bunch of heckler (it really hurt, it is my 1st show...) Magic like poison, I cannot stop completly. Hope to gain back the confidence.

la0o9
02-26-2011, 04:41 AM
Hey, welcome to our forum.
I think to gain back confidence, you can learn how to play with coins and some cheap cigarette tricks, or use some gimmicks to do close up, with cards destroyed, you can still do things they don't know about( i assure you, since card magic is so popular, most hecklers don't know about the rest, so you can still be safe if you practice enough)

BTW, i'm not a normal magician who learns from the bottom up so idk what are your "basics", but i think self working tricks will amaze hecklers if you do it as mind reading/future predicting( practice a lot and test some out on girls, emphasis: "on GIRLS", if they don't notice and react, it'll work on guys, but with a bit less reaction and more hostility, so be prepared... )

One question: do you perform like " pick a card, look, i'll do something with the card, see? i'm amazing aren't i?"( not exact, but along the line of a typical practice performance without patter) or do you interact with the spectators a lot?

TheMisdirectingHand
02-26-2011, 06:27 AM
Welcome to the forums! If people like hecklers attempt to destroy your performances, I think you should avoid them. Enjoying an effect, or trying to figure it out is fine. What I think you are implying is that they are intentionally bothering you, and making you mess up. Those people are not an audience, they are "poison".

Albert
02-26-2011, 06:56 AM
I think this is a good advice on how to deal with hecklers, assuming not ALL of the people are hecklers:

Sometimes, just walking away from them is fine. You don't have to prove yourself. Just say "Well, seems like there are people who don't really want to see this trick, so let's end it there". If there are other spectators who were really into it, they will get angry and blame everything on the hecklers for not being able to see the trick. Then, the hecklers become the bad guys for trying to be smart asses. :D

s13zeTheDay
02-26-2011, 02:58 PM
Usually when there are hecklers the two ways to deal with them are make them feel stupid (i.e. do you want to come up and do a trick?) depending on the situation and also I agree do a very easy yet hard hitting trick.

Also, Welcome!! :)

Aiyou
02-26-2011, 06:04 PM
La0o9, I remember one of the card tricks I perform moving pip, and the hecklers want grab the card, in middle of change. I don’t like this patter, something like this "pick a card, look, i'll do something with the card, see? i'm amazing aren't i?", because I understand that male spectators don’t like it. Although that bunch of heckler I met, is made out of female and male. I interact with spectators. Now I try if possible I will let the spectators become magician. For example by performing out of this world. thank for the suggestion. I’m appreciated that.

TheMisdirectingHand,
That time only me one person, deal with a bunch. It is a mini close up show, I cannot just walk away. Thinking back now… I think they really got intention. The problem is I don’t like argue with people. So… end up them making fun of me…

Albert,
hope my EQ is good when I encounter this situation in future… because I easily nervous, and mess up everything. Thank for advice.

I just don’t understand why they don’t enjoy the performance. We both got benefit. They can get the magical moment, and I can enjoy perform.

Thank for suggestion and advice given. I’m really appreciated that. Learned something. Thank for warm welcome too =)

Albert
02-26-2011, 06:33 PM
I can think of one reason why hecklers do what they do.

They want the attention or want to sound smart. Hecklers are trolls. You can't feed them. If you give them positive attention, they will grow bigger and feel that they are in charge of the performance. But ignoring them is bad. It makes them think that they are right and they get bigger again (in terms of dominance in the group)

A good way to make those hecklers believe you are real may be either to use their items or even do a mentalism/mind-reading tricks. Those kind of things can't be "disturbed" by hecklers if you can do it right.

For example, if you have Loops (I just got mine xD) you have a perfect setup to use their money/bill, glasses, fork, pen, etc. if you can perform it correctly. Mind reading is also great.

s13zeTheDay
02-26-2011, 06:41 PM
On the topic of hecklers, I would not advise using gimmicks/props. Hit them hard with a few short, clean, effects that start and end clean, and they're much more likely to shut up. Also I agree with albert-- something like a marked deck/mentalism trick does work wonders

Aiyou
02-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Sorry for late reply, cannot always has access to internet.

I get it now. thank guys. I'm appreciated your knowledge sharing. ;)

Mark
03-06-2011, 09:10 AM
Welcome!! :D (Sorry, a little late.:blush:)

I'd like to add that you might want to do something more parlor-ish, as in taking a little more distance from the audience. I'm sorry to hear that those hecklers ruined it for you, but that shouldn't destroy your magic career. Just be sure that you have everything in control and decrease the chances of getting heckled. In case of grabber-hecklers that could mean that they have to say stop in order to select a card instead of taking one out of the deck themselves.

Anyhow, glad to see that you didn't totally lose interest in the art and joined the community! ^_^